Our History

The History of St. James School 

St. James School is steeped in tradition. In 1843, St. James Parish was established.  That same year, the school was formed.  The first brick schoolhouse was built in 1874 and was replaced in 1912 by what has become the core of the current school. Building additions in 1957, 1963, and 1994 developed into the present facility. For over 175 years, St. James School has been providing a quality education for children of the surrounding area.

St. James has been recognized locally and nationally for its continuous success in preparing children spiritually and academically for the challenges of their future. This success is especially evidenced by the incredible number of students whose parents, grandparents, and great grandparents have attended St. James School.

St. James has a proud tradition of academic excellence. In 2007 St. James was recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence for the fourth time by the United States Department of Education. St. James is honored to be the only elementary school in the nation to have earned this distinction four times.

In 2010, the school renovated two classrooms and opened a new STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Lab. This lab offers a safe and exciting place to conduct scientific study and experiments.  In 2013, the school renovated its art room, adding one additional classroom to the art program.  In 2014, all student lockers were replaced and the cafeteria was renovated. In 2018, the school renovated the computer lab. The lab is state of the art and will offer a wide range of functionality for project based learning. In 2019, the school renovated two classrooms, installed new flooring in the main hallway and carpet in several common areas.  In 2020, air conditioning was added to the cafeteria.  In 2021, the library was given a "refresh" and new flooring was installed in six classrooms. In 2022, new flooring was installed in the top floor hallway as well as in three classrooms, and the Spanish classroom was fully renovated.